Thursday, November 10, 2011

Paint my number

One of the coolest things about getting a daily email from Fab (a flash sale site) is that every so often I discover something new and fascinating. Today artist Trey Speegle arrived in my inbox with an alphabet of collages. I clicked through to discover that they were made of vintage paint-by number sets. Trey uses the board, packaging, and even the instructions in his work. 
Turns out, he has one of the largest collections of vintage paint-by-number paintings, and he uses these as both his medium and his inspiration. Some pieces, like the alphabet, are just fun. Some leverage the juxtaposition of clichéd subject matter and text to say something more substantial. In my head, I imagine when he has a mental block, he takes some time to fill in the spaces: 1=light blue, 2=dark blue, 3=green....


Images from Trey Speegle and Fab. Via Fab.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Here at the lab, we value nice. Gratuitous web links, spam, or general snarkiness will be deleted.